Skip to main content

A long time between posts!

Life has been busy with house renovations, helping with the four grandchildren's home schooling and my husbands health issues of late, which has meant that this blog has been sadly neglected.  I have not been completely idle though, as I have been sorting out my family trees and chasing up DNA matches here and there.

Excitingly I was recently contacted by an American distant relative of my husbands Martin line, through him seeing some of my blog posts.  This has resulted in Richard filling in some important missing pieces of the puzzle for me and has helped me to knock down a major brick wall I had with the Martin line.  I am so very grateful that he reached out, as it has led to so many new discoveries for me, which I will share in future posts.

If you have read some of my former posts, here and here, you will know that this line has taken me on quite the journey over the last twenty seven years!  There was a family story about a connection with Canada which I thought I had unravelled until it turned out to be completely the wrong family.  This discovery led to me scrapping everything I had and starting again.  Eventually thanks to family information provided by Barbara Cooper (who thankfully also got in touch with me through this blog) I found the right family, discovering that my husbands great grandfather was William Martin and his great grandmother was Caroline Wallace.  They married in Liverpool, England on the 25th of November 1891.

Marriage registration for William Martin and Caroline Wallace.  Source: Liverpool, England, Church of England Marriages and Banns, 1754-1932. Retrieved from Ancestry.com

On their marriage certificate it stated that William Martin was a widower, so from this I knew there was definitely a first wife and perhaps a first family waiting to be found.  I did some research but could not find definitive proof I was on the right track with finding her/them.  Once my husbands distant relative Richard got in contact however this all changed and I now have primary source documents and DNA matches that verify the connections, so I am ecstatic!

It turned out William Martin was first married to Mary Adams in Glasgow on the 25th of December in 1874.  


Marriage registration for William Martin and Mary Adams. 


Known children of William Martin and Mary Martin nee Adams:
  • James Adams Martin - born 20th of August 1875 in Glasgow, Scotland
  • Alexander Adams Malcolm Martin - born 9th April 1877 in Glasgow, Scotland
  • Margaret Edmund Martin  - born 25th of July 1879 in Glasgow, Scotland

In 1879, the Martin family comprising of William, Mary and their three children migrated to Canada on board the ship Brooklyn.  


Canada, Incoming Passenger Lists, 1865 - 1935

Name

Birth Year

Arrival Date

Arrival Port

Departure Port

Vessel

Maggie Martin


1 Oct 1879

Quebec, Quebec, Canada

Liverpool, England

Brooklyn

Mrs Martin

abt 1855

1 Oct 1879

Quebec, Quebec, Canada

Liverpool, England

Brooklyn

James Martin

abt 1877

1 Oct 1879

Quebec, Quebec, Canada

Liverpool, England

Brooklyn

Alex Martin

abt 1878

1 Oct 1879

Quebec, Quebec, Canada

Liverpool, England

Brooklyn

Wm Martin

abt 1855

1 Oct 1879

Quebec, Quebec, Canada

Liverpool, England

Brooklyn

Source: Passenger listings for Martin. Canada, Incoming Passenger Lists, 1865 - 1935.  Retrieved from Ancestry.com


Finally it has been discovered, there is the family connection with Canada that I had been told about so many years ago! It just turned out that it was my husbands great grandfather and not his grandfather who migrated there.









Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The Kendall Children.

I started this post a while ago and was going to finally finish and post it yesterday however our four grandchildren came over and I got sidetracked.  Our grandchildren range in age now from six down to one;  they are so full of life (each of them lights up a room when they enter it) and we feel extremely blessed to have them in our lives.  After spending the afternoon researching this post, their arrival made this tragedy even more poignant for me and so I appreciated their company even more than usual and hugged them a bit tighter too!  This morning I woke up to a cold, wet and windy Wagga day and the thought of three little girls out in August weather like this, in light weight dresses with no shoes or jumpers impacted on me even more. Those poor babies! One of the girls was found still clasping her doll that she had carried with her over the whole tragic journey. When my husband and I were looking around the Wagga Wagga Monumental Cemetery some time ago we came across a very sad he

Wednesday’s Wedding: William Allardyce Martin and Violet Helen Marguerite Murray

 Today's post involves my husbands paternal Grandparents and their wedding in Singapore on the 14th April 1928.  More posts involving this couple can be found here , here , here , here , here , here  and  here . SINGAPORE WEDDINGS Mr. W.A. Martin and Miss Violet Murray. On Saturday at 8 a.m.at the Cathedral of the Good Shepherd, a pretty wedding was solemnised between Miss Violet Helen Murray, eldest daughter of Mr. and Mrs. J.H. Murray, of Singapore, and Mr. William Allardice Martin, of the Prison Dept., Straits Settlements, only son of Mr. and Mrs. W.W. Martin, of Glasgow. The bride, who was given away by her father, looked charming in an Early Victorian frock of satin with the train was also of satin with a lover's knot of georgette and orange blossoms, and carried a bouquet of white lilies and clematis.  The bridesmaid was Miss Molly Murray, sister of the bride, who was becomingly gowned in blue satin charmeuse with hat to match.  The duties of the best man were performed b

Trove Tuesday - The Murder of Patrick McCooey

These articles involve my 5th Great Grandmother Ann Puckeridge (nee Maund) and her son William Puckeridge (my half 4th Great grand Uncle).  Ann was born in England and married her first husband Joseph Puckeridge around 1796.  There are records of two children being baptised in St Marylebone, Middlesex,   England for this couple Sarah (1799-?) and James (1800-?).  Their lives took a turn in 1800, when Joseph was sentenced to death for stealing scotch ticking, this sentence was later remitted to transportation for Life.  In 1801 Joseph, the convict and Ann his free wife arrived in Australia on board the ship Earl Cornwallis , their English born children's fate is unknown.  They went on to have the following children in Australia: William (1802-1877), John (1804-1885), Ann Sawyer nee Puckeridge (1806-1882), Mary Ann (1809-1818), Richard (1812-1881), Joseph (1814-1857) and Henry (1817-1819).   Joseph worked as a brickmaker in Australia and died in Sydney in 1818.  In 1820 Ann married J