Skip to main content

Death Notice: Sarah Smith nee Glitherow

Sarah Jane Smith nee Glitherow died on the 13th April 1898 at the Ovens Benevolent Asylum, Beechworth.

Source: Family Notices (1898, April 16). Ovens and Murray Advertiser (Beechworth, Vic. : 1855 - 1918), p. 5. Retrieved from


SMITH.- At the Ovens Benevolent Asylum, on the 13th April, 1898, Sarah Jane Smith, formerly of Beechworth, aged 55 years.  Two years in the Asylum.

Further research into Sarah's time at the Ovens Benevolent Asylum led me to these articles on Trove.

Source: OVENS BENEVOLENT ASYLUM. (1892, October 8). Ovens and Murray Advertiser (Beechworth, Vic. : 1855 - 1918), p. 4. Retrieved from



The ordinary meeting of the committee of the above institution was held on Wednesday evening.  Present  - The President (Mr. C.J. Flower) in the chair, Messrs Ingram, Warren, O'Connor, Northeast, Cahn, Morrison and Foster.
The minutes of the previous meeting were read and confirmed.
The House Committee;s report contained no feature of public interest, being occupied entirely with routine matters, with the exception of an acknowledgement of the contribution made to the funds by the Charities Ball committee.
Mr. CAHN moved the adoption of the report, which was seconded by Mr. WARREN, and agreed to. 
The Patients Committee reported that there were no new cases of outdoor relief.  They had considered the case of Sarah J. Smith, on whose behalf application for admission had been made, and had decided on leaving it to be dealt with by the general committee.
With regard to this latter case.
Mr. INGRAM informed the committee, that Mrs Smith was an old women, crippled and thoroughly helpless, who had been supported by her daughter.  The daughter had now gone to Albury, and she had been compelled to leave the mother behind, who was altogether unable to do anything to assist herself.
Mr. WARREN moved that the committees report be adopted, and that Mrs Smith be admitted as an inmate.
Mr. CAHN seconded the motion , which was agreed to.

Source: OVENS BENEVOLENT ASYLUM. (1896, January 25). Ovens and Murray Advertiser (Beechworth, Vic. : 1855 - 1918), p. 7. Retrieved from


Mr. INGRAM brought under the notice of the committee the case of the old woman, Sarah Jane Smith, who had formerly been an inmate, but who had left voluntarily as her daughter had been willing to take care of her and support her.  The daughter had done this for some time, but unfortunately was no longer able to do so.  The old women was a complete cripple and entirely helpless, and as there was at present a vacancy for a female inmate she might be re-admitted.
Mr FARHALL moved the reception and adoption of the report.
Mr. MACKAY seconded the motion, which was carried.
Mr. INGRAM moved the re-admission of the old women, Sarah Jane Smith, and this having been seconded by Mr. STEVENS, was carried.

According to the Beechworth Health Service website:

The establishment of the Ovens Benevolent Asylum on Warner Road was first mooted in 1861, when on the 22nd July a public meeting was held with the object of building a district Benevolent Asylum. The function of this Asylum was to provide accommodation and care for gold miners who were permanently injured, and for women and children who were penniless, homeless, or whose parents were guests of the State.

Source: Beechworth Health Service. Our History.  Retrieved from

An early photograph of the Ovens Benevolent Asylum can be found here.

As is commonly the case I have been left with more questions than answers with this information. How did Sarah become a cripple?  Where was her husband at this time? Which of her daughters was looking after her and then moved to Albury in 1892? Was it the same daughter that she left the Asylum to live with?  More research is required obviously but at least I have more definitive leads to follow up on now.

Move information on Sarah's life can be found herehereherehere and here.


Popular posts from this blog

The Kendall Children.

I started this post a while ago and was going to finally finish and post it yesterday however our four grandchildren came over and I got sidetracked.  Our grandchildren range in age now from six down to one;  they are so full of life (each of them lights up a room when they enter it) and we feel extremely blessed to have them in our lives.  After spending the afternoon researching this post, their arrival made this tragedy even more poignant for me and so I appreciated their company even more than usual and hugged them a bit tighter too!  This morning I woke up to a cold, wet and windy Wagga day and the thought of three little girls out in August weather like this, in light weight dresses with no shoes or jumpers impacted on me even more. Those poor babies! One of the girls was found still clasping her doll that she had carried with her over the whole tragic journey. When my husband and I were looking around the Wagga Wagga Monumental Cemetery some time ago we came across a very sad he

Trove Tuesday - The Murder of Patrick McCooey

These articles involve my 5th Great Grandmother Ann Puckeridge (nee Maund) and her son William Puckeridge (my half 4th Great grand Uncle).  Ann was born in England and married her first husband Joseph Puckeridge around 1796.  There are records of two children being baptised in St Marylebone, Middlesex,   England for this couple Sarah (1799-?) and James (1800-?).  Their lives took a turn in 1800, when Joseph was sentenced to death for stealing scotch ticking, this sentence was later remitted to transportation for Life.  In 1801 Joseph, the convict and Ann his free wife arrived in Australia on board the ship Earl Cornwallis , their English born children's fate is unknown.  They went on to have the following children in Australia: William (1802-1877), John (1804-1885), Ann Sawyer nee Puckeridge (1806-1882), Mary Ann (1809-1818), Richard (1812-1881), Joseph (1814-1857) and Henry (1817-1819).   Joseph worked as a brickmaker in Australia and died in Sydney in 1818.  In 1820 Ann married J

Trove Tuesday - Death of a Centenarian

The year I turned twelve my Great Great Grandmother Flora Ann Worldon nee McDonnell passed away just two months short of her 105th birthday.  She was born at the Inn owned by her Father and Uncle at Five Mile Creek, Gundagai in 1875; the ruins of which can be still seen today near the 'Dog on the Tuckerbox' and lived a full and interesting life. Growing up she had always been part of the family folklore.  I have always known her to be my oldest ancestor at the time of their death but now it seems that my 5th Great Grandmother Ann Costello nee Hogan at 105 years of age has overtaken her for top ranking. There do seem to be some embellishments and discrepancies in the article however, she had been in Australia for only twenty nine years not over half a century and her immigration files have her birth year c.1798 rather than c.1782 that would be required for her to die in 1887 aged 105, so more research is required for verification of her exact age. Source: DEATH OF A CENT