Skip to main content

My Ancestry DNA results are in!

My husband ended up ordering an Ancestry DNA kit for me and the results came in yesterday!  I was surprisingly impatient with it all and the longer it took in the analysis phase the more convince I was that it had failed.  The wait which was not really that long at all (Ancestry received my completed DNA kit on September 30th and I had the results online on the 19th October) however did give me time to further evaluate how I would handle surprise relatives or unexpected results, which can and does happen but did not so far in my case.  My husband did however have two unexpected close family connections, we reached out and one replied who was searching for a biological parent after getting unexpected results themselves a couple of years ago.  Together we went through my husbands tree and found the likely connection and last we heard they were having more testing done to establish the exact nature of their relationship. The stress, emotional turmoil and unpredictability of people’s reactions to unexpected DNA results is definitely something to be seriously considered when embarking on this process and people need to understand there will not always be satisfying results and welcoming families at the end of it! We are very hopeful that my husbands new relative does have a good outcome however or at the very least gains the knowledge they were seeking. We believe that the other close relative that was revealed is his niece through his older brother who lives in the United States. Currently we have not heard back from her and do not have contact with his brother (they were raised separately in different countries after my husbands parents marriage ended).
My husbands DNA test was not the only one I know to knock down brick walls in family trees! My son in law and his mother’s DNA tests have confirmed that his grandfather (who was adopted) was indeed the biological son of an American serviceman and an Australian girl during the Second World War. I did some research using the DNA results and believe that I found the serviceman concerned, whose ship was in Sydney on leave at the required time but to my knowledge neither side has reached out yet to pursue it any further which is completely understandable.
One of my trees biggest mysteries has also been solved recently, when some of my other relatives DNA test results led to us finally finding out what happened to my Great Great Grandfather Edward Battye.  Family legend had him running off to the United States or Europe with another woman and the proceeds of his gold discoveries (which were rumoured to be considerable) however none of us who have been researching the tree for decades now could find any record to confirm this.  After over twenty years of research I had basically come to the conclusion that he had ended up dead down a mine shaft somewhere, as the trail went cold on him living with another woman (name unknown) near Yarrangobilly in the early 1900s.  It turned out he had simply changed his name, moved to another part of the state, changed occupation, had another family and lived out his days.  I had considered this option years before but there was no way to trace it then and I thought the gold bug had bitten him too hard to ever give up on it! Anyway the brick wall has been knocked down now and he seems to have lived a good life with his second family.  More posts concerning him can be found here, here, here, here, herehere.
Getting back to my DNA results now, my ethnicity estimate is below.  So far I have over 323 4th cousin or closer DNA matches, no surprise relatives and no unexpected results.  My Nan’s father was indeed her biological father, something that had to be considered as her parents did not marry until the year she turned three and this was in the 1920s and both were single.  My son in law and I are as I thought distant cousins with a very small amount of shared DNA.  My Great Great Grandfather Edward Battye did change his name and have a second family.  There were no clues as to the indigenous connection in my Grandfathers tree however, I am hoping when some of my Mothers siblings do their test we might get some answers in that direction. My Mother refuses have it done, as is her right to. Overall I am very happy with the results and currently working out where all the DNA matches fit in my trees.



Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The Kendall Children.

I started this post a while ago and was going to finally finish and post it yesterday however our four grandchildren came over and I got sidetracked.  Our grandchildren range in age now from six down to one;  they are so full of life (each of them lights up a room when they enter it) and we feel extremely blessed to have them in our lives.  After spending the afternoon researching this post, their arrival made this tragedy even more poignant for me and so I appreciated their company even more than usual and hugged them a bit tighter too!  This morning I woke up to a cold, wet and windy Wagga day and the thought of three little girls out in August weather like this, in light weight dresses with no shoes or jumpers impacted on me even more. Those poor babies! One of the girls was found still clasping her doll that she had carried with her over the whole tragic journey. When my husband and I were looking around the Wagga Wagga Monumental Cemetery some time ago we came across a very sad he

Wednesday’s Wedding: William Allardyce Martin and Violet Helen Marguerite Murray

 Today's post involves my husbands paternal Grandparents and their wedding in Singapore on the 14th April 1928.  More posts involving this couple can be found here , here , here , here , here , here  and  here . SINGAPORE WEDDINGS Mr. W.A. Martin and Miss Violet Murray. On Saturday at 8 a.m.at the Cathedral of the Good Shepherd, a pretty wedding was solemnised between Miss Violet Helen Murray, eldest daughter of Mr. and Mrs. J.H. Murray, of Singapore, and Mr. William Allardice Martin, of the Prison Dept., Straits Settlements, only son of Mr. and Mrs. W.W. Martin, of Glasgow. The bride, who was given away by her father, looked charming in an Early Victorian frock of satin with the train was also of satin with a lover's knot of georgette and orange blossoms, and carried a bouquet of white lilies and clematis.  The bridesmaid was Miss Molly Murray, sister of the bride, who was becomingly gowned in blue satin charmeuse with hat to match.  The duties of the best man were performed b

Trove Tuesday - The Murder of Patrick McCooey

These articles involve my 5th Great Grandmother Ann Puckeridge (nee Maund) and her son William Puckeridge (my half 4th Great grand Uncle).  Ann was born in England and married her first husband Joseph Puckeridge around 1796.  There are records of two children being baptised in St Marylebone, Middlesex,   England for this couple Sarah (1799-?) and James (1800-?).  Their lives took a turn in 1800, when Joseph was sentenced to death for stealing scotch ticking, this sentence was later remitted to transportation for Life.  In 1801 Joseph, the convict and Ann his free wife arrived in Australia on board the ship Earl Cornwallis , their English born children's fate is unknown.  They went on to have the following children in Australia: William (1802-1877), John (1804-1885), Ann Sawyer nee Puckeridge (1806-1882), Mary Ann (1809-1818), Richard (1812-1881), Joseph (1814-1857) and Henry (1817-1819).   Joseph worked as a brickmaker in Australia and died in Sydney in 1818.  In 1820 Ann married J